Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Recipe Club: Swiss Chocolate Cake

I’m linking up again with Andrea’s Recipe Club to share another sweet favorite!

Last month, I shared my Strawberry Cake. This month, it’s another family-favorite...my Swiss Chocolate Cake!

You know when you go to a church Pot Luck or a Dinner on the Ground (That may just be a Tennessee term? Anyone else ever heard of that one? It’s not actually on the ground…well, they used to be…but not now. We have tables and chairs now. We’re advancing with the times.) Anyways, so at a church meal , you can always spot out “an old lady cake”. You know what I’m talking about…a dessert that just LOOKS like somebody’s grandma made it. One where you say, “Oh, that’s Mrs. Nell’s Caramel Pie” or “That’s Mrs. Bray’s Apple Pie”, “That’s Mrs. Bernice’s Coconut Cake.”

This is one of those desserts! Way back in the day, my boyfriend’s grandmother made this for lunch one Sunday and I just thought it was the best thing ever, so I asked her to share the recipe with me. So really, it IS a grandmother cake!

(This is a chilled cake, so be sure you have enough refrigerator space available.)

Here’s what you’ll need…
1 box of Swiss Chocolate Cake mix (Duncan Hines is the only brand I’ve ever found this in.)
1 small box of instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup of oil
1 1/2 cup of buttermilk
3 eggs

For the icing you’ll need…
16 oz Whipped Cream
8 oz  cream cheese
1 cup of powder sugar
½ cup of granulated sugar
Chocolate Bar (I usually use a Hershey bar, but I had a Dove bar on hand….whatever will work just fine.)

Preheat your oven to 350°. Grease (3) 8 or 9 inch round pans.

Mix all your cake ingredients until well combined. Pour evenly into the cake pans.
Bake 15-20 minutes, until they pass the toothpick test. Let them cool completely.

While the cakes are baking, make your icing. Beat your cream cheese and sugars until smooth, then mix in your whipped cream. Refrigerate for at least an hour before spreading on cake.

Once cakes are cooled, spread icing between layers and then frost the cake completely. 

Grate your chocolate bar on top of the cake for garnish.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.

I typically make this cake the day before I’m serving. It just gets better the longer it chills.

It looks fancy and time-consuming, but it’s really not. And it’s DEFINITELY worth your time!! EVERYONE will LOVE this cake! (This is my mom’s favorite!! If I don’t make it for her birthday in March, I be sure to make it for Mother’s Day. Or both!) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be visible after approved by the author.