Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Jack Daniel's Fudge Pie

It's Thanksgiving Eve which means kitchens around the country will be pushing out their most famous pies over the next few days! There is a major soft spot in my heart for a great piece of pie!

The pie that everyone knows me for making is my Jack Daniel's Fudge Pie. Really, I shouldn't claim it as "my" pie. It's not my recipe, nor do I even tweak it from the original recipe. The original recipe, as you will see below is called "Miss Mary's Fudge Pie". This is served everyday at Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House Restaurant.

It's great year-round, but it's perfect for the holiday season!!

A quick disclaimer & side story, we are not drinkers, and this bottle of Jack Daniels is the only alcohol in our house. In fact, this same bottle has been in my freezer for probably 5 or 6 years now. I've taken this pie to many church pot-lucks and just referred to it as "Fudge Pie". HA. The few people that know the secret ingredient think it's hilarious that the preacher's daughter brought the boozed-up pie. This pie has brought much laughter through the years. Also, for some reason, I've always had a strange fascination with the Jack Daniels brand and history, mostly because it's Tennessee history, other than that I have NO clue why.


If you ever have the chance, take a day to visit Lynchburg, TN, the JD Distillery, all the shops around the town sqaure, and grab a meal at Miss Mary Bobo's. It all makes for the perfect little day-trip!

Here's what you'll need:

Graham Cracker Pie Crust
1/2 Stick of Butter (Melted)
3 TBS Cocoa Powder
2 Eggs (Beaten)
1 1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Evaporated Milk
1 TBS Jack Daniel's Whiskey
Whipped Cream for topping (optional)


Again, because I don't claim this as my own, here's the recipe I use straight from the book! SO EASY!


Ready to bake!!!


The only tip I will add, is that typically, it takes longer than the suggested 30-35 minutes bake time. In fact, I usually let it bake around 45 minutes, turn the oven off, and let it set for a while in the warm oven. It's all trial and error, and how firm you want the pie to set.

And, if you don't have a 6-year old bottle of whiskey in your freezer, you can just leave it out and add in some vanilla instead. It'll still taste great!



The Graham Cracker Crust is not the traditional crust for a fudge pie, and that coupled with the small amount of whiskey, adds a great candied effect to the pie. It's sweet, gooey, and just a little tacky...everything the perfect Fudge Pie should be!!


Head on over to Andrea's blog for some other great recipes for the holidays!

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be visible after approved by the author.