Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Let's Talk - 2016 Goals



Today, I'm joining in on Andrea and Erika's new monthly link to chat about our 2016 goals!

Normally, I set small monthly goals for myself and have had great success in checking things off my list since I started attacking one month at a time. 

Stephen and I have never set goals together that are beyond some random weekend task we need to accomplish. We decided that 2016 would be a great year to write a few items down on paper that were important to us and work together to see what we can do. 


The past year and a half has been HARD. Our "journey" to become parents / infertility struggles / miscarriage...all of the above....it takes a toll. Some days you just argue you way through until you feel like you can't handle anything else. Then this little thing called grace creeps in and you suddenly become thankful for the blessings you do have rather than being upset for the blessings you think you deserve and don't have. 

I can't imagine having gone through  / going through all of this with anyone but Stephen. Without a doubt, our marriage is stronger and BETTER because of these hurdles. 

All that being said, it goes without saying that having a baby and preparing our hearts to become parents (in whatever way that will be) is ALWAYS at the top of our goals list. Here are just a few other items we've come up with...

1. Be more diligent in saving. 
Last year we did really great in moving money over to a savings account every week. Somewhere around the September / October, we just stopped doing this, and for no good reason. We saw our savings account build and build and we were so proud of ourselves, so we were getting back to doing that ASAP. 

2. Go to bed at the same time. 
I would say we do this two to three times a week right now. Stephen is a night owl and could stay up late for HOURS. Clock strikes 9pm, I'm ready to wind down and be in the bed an hour later or so. I love our quiet time together on the nights we do go to bed at the same time. I'll read and he'll scan through social media apps from the day; we'll chat about something we've seen..it's just a time of the day that I really look forward to. One day, we'll be on a baby's schedule and won't get to enjoy these few minutes, so for now, I want to take full advantage of them. 

3. LANDSCAPE! 
Ok, so June will mark TWO years in our house. There's a HUGE part of the front of our house that is in desperate need of sprucing up. We said this before we even bought the house, and STILL haven't done anything. Last year, we even went as far as to price the job out to a landscape company, but quickly said "no, thank you" when we saw their price. YIKES. We are in the wrong business! Stephen is determined that this is the year we're going to tackle the project. 

4. What we're calling "Erica's Night Off"
This one makes me laugh, roll my eyes and become giddy all at the same time. It's so ridiculous but we kept coming back to it, so it made the list. Typically 5-6 nights of the week, I make dinner. During the week, Stephen is usually home a few hours before I am, but leaves to go work out not long after I get home. And then gets back home after 6pm. (My other Crossfit wives friends will be shouting amen to this one, as this is a frequent venting session of us.) We've decided that 1 or 2 times  a month, he is totally in charge of dinner prep, cooking and cleanup. I can come home and do whatever I want, or run whatever errands I want without rushing home. He's already looking through my Pioneer Woman cookbooks to plan his nights. I can't wait to see where this one takes us! haha

5. Set aside at least an hour each week to have a bible study together. 
This is another one we used to do frequently, and then slowly let slip away because of other distractions. We really enjoyed doing a study together, so when Stephen mentioned this one, I was ALL for it. Each week will be different scheduling wise, so we're not setting a specific day / time, we're just making it a point to do it at some point during the week. We want our faith and God's Word to fill our house once kiddos come on board, so if we make it a part of our lives now before kids, it will just be an easy transition once we're parents. 

That's it! I'll do a recap at the end of the year to see how we've done. Hopefully it'll be a list of all marked off items!!

I love this series and look forward to getting a sneak peek into everyone else's goals for the year!

Tomorrow I'm linking up with some of my favorites for....



And we're answering these questions....


See everyone back here tomorrow!


5 comments:

  1. I love your goals! They are really practical and realistic--and much needed! Dustin and I need to start doing a study together once a week now that he is on all days. We tried when he was on swing shift, but it was really hard on the weeks he was on nights. Now that it's more consistent, we need to get back to it. Christ should always be at the center of our marriage!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I'm now on the hunt for a good study book or devotional for us use. There's so many out there that sound so good!

      Delete
  2. We both go to bed the same time each night now (for the most part) and it's been great! Fantastic goal list..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad to hear from someone else who does this!

      Delete
  3. love these goals girl!cant wait to keep up with your blog! its super cute! hope you'll drop by mine as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be visible after approved by the author.