Monday, January 4, 2016

New Year's Weekend

Happy 2016!! Or as I like to refer to it, the first day of three months worth of checks that I mistakenly date 2015.

We had a pretty low-key New Year's around here. We spent NYE with a HUGE group of friends at our friends John and Brittany's house. We've been celebrating NYE at their house for 3 or 4 years now. Every year, most of the guys end up playing crazy games of ping pong in their basement (they don't surface back upstairs until right before midnight and they're all typically drenched in sweat at that point) and most of the girls play cards upstairs. 


We had a HUGE game of Nertz going on this year. Have you played this card game before? Heard of it? It's my FAVORITE card game!

New Year's Day we had our traditional hog's jaw and black eyed peas lunch at Stephen's grandparents house. I will eat black eyed peas one day a year...this is it.  

Later that night, we went to my sister and brother in law's house to play with our nephews for a while. If you saw my video on Instagram, you'll see the moment I decided it was time for us to go. HAHA. 

Saturday, Stephen had breakfast with his family before his brother headed back to Virginia. I enjoyed a quite house for a couple of hours and some of my favorite Food Network shows. 

That afternoon, I made a quick Target run with a friend to pick up a new rug for our living room. Later that night, I started unpacking my Valentine's Day decorations. I just love decorating for all holidays! Not much...just a few touches. I can't stand for our mantel to be empty very long!


Saturday night, we decided to do an appetizer dinner. I tell ya, if you've never apps for dinner, spread them out on the coffee table in front of the tv and just sat and picked off them....you need to try this one night. It's one of our favorite dinners! This time, we made a caprese salad, shrimp cocktail, jalapeno wontons and spinach quiche. SO good!! 


Sunday morning, I laughed at Stephen's soccer socks he put on to wear to church. I couldn't laugh much, when I looked at what I was wearing around the house while getting ready. 


Who knows, maybe we're starting a new fashion trend!

Sunday night, we wrapped up our weekend with popcorn and finishing our weekend Netflix binge. On Friday, we started watching a miniseries "The Kennedys" that originally aired in 2011 on The History Channel. We were both hooked instantly. Needless to say, Sunday night we were watching the last show. Granted, it was only 8 episodes...but still. This was such a good show! I highly recommend this, but hurry because it leaves Netflix on January 14th!


Later this week, I'm sharing my December / January monthly goals mashup! December was a HUGE success with lots of check-marked boxes! 

I was moving items over from my old planner to my new one this weekend, and came across this huge list I made last January for the year. I had somewhat forgot about it through the year, and definitely didn't stick to it as much as I did my monthly goals lists. I started running down the list, and was quite surprised at how many lines I had completed without it being something I reminded myself to do. 


I decided that this year, Stephen and I will make a year's worth of goals together. (He just doesn't know it yet!) I can't wait to see what we come up with!

I hope you had a wonderful New Year's holiday and are off to a great, new, fresh start to 2016!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you decorate for Valentine's Day, too! I need to put out a few red and pink things to spice up the house! Thanks for the idea!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every mantel deserves festive touches for each season and/or holiday! Dress it up and have fun!

      Delete

Your comment will be visible after approved by the author.