Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Show & Tell Tuesday: Getting to Know You...and Me!

For the first Show & Tell Tuesday of 2016, we're all linking up to introduce ourselves! Thanks to all of these fun link-ups, there's been several new visitors around here in the past few months. It's a great time to re-introduce myself and my little piece of the internet. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the blogging community is so fun and supportive! I'm excited to meet more of you through today's link up!!

For starters, my name is Erica and this is The Second House on the Right. I was born, raised, and will more than likely always live in my not-so-small anymore town in Middle Tennessee. This is simply, home. 


I have the best family and friends a girl could ask for. Parents, sister, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles...they're all the best!  My sister and her husband have two sons, my nephews, Riley and Colin. They make very frequent appearances on this blog as they are a HUGE part of our lives. 



I graduated from college in 2007 with my degree in Business / HR Management. Today, I work at a large regional hospital in the Facilities / Engineering / Safety Department. I work  with a bunch of men who keep me laughing and rolling my eyes in frustration at the same time. I work mainly with reports and compliance standards documentation. It's not very glamorous, but it's rewarding knowing that appropriate, safe and the best health care possible made available to our patients is dependent on our department. Procedures, treatments, surgeries..day in and day out, nobody knows the extents we go to to keep everything functioning the best way possible. 

I met my husband Stephen many  years ago through a church youth group, but it wasn't until years later on a random night at the t-ball field watching my nephew play when I noticed him on the other side of the field that started it all. He was there to watch his cousin play ball. Later that night, I messaged him on Facebook with a simple, "Hey, I saw you tonight! I've not seen you in years." We messaged each other a couple of times in the day or two following that night, but nothing there to spark a romantic interest on either side. A few months later, my job took me to NYC for a conference. I had posted on Facebook a photo from Grand Central Station, Stephen commented on it, then messaged me. The ball started rolling. Once I would get back to my hotel room late each night, he and I would message each other back and forth for hours. Eventually, we went on our first date. As cliche goes, the rest is history. 


This was one of our first photos together after dating a month...oh to be younger and thinner again. HA. 

Stephen and I were married on September 28th, 2013 which was literally THE MOST beautiful day weather-wise that I have ever seen. We had the most perfect day celebrating with our families and friends. Two years later, I finally blogged all about our big day. You can find all of those posts by clicking on the "wedding" tab in the Quick Finds area to the right of your screen. 


I don't know what I would do without Stephen. This man loves me more than anything I've ever experienced. I've never had a bigger fan than he is. We laugh every day, have cried together often, build each other up, get more frustrated with each other than anyone else, and then get over it. We're in it for the long haul, and I cannot imagine doing life with anybody else. 


We purchased our first home in the Spring of 2014 and moved into our house in June of last year. It's not the biggest, newest house you've seen. In fact, it's 40 years old. It lacks an acceptable amount of strategically placed electrical outlets and not enough storage space, but you know what, we LOVE it anyway. Not long before we bought it, the previous owner made several upgrades and we've done some updating of our own since it's been ours. We just love this place! 


We decided in August of 2014 we were ready to have a baby. God's plan for us has been slightly different. We were overjoyed in June 2015 to find out were were finally expecting our first baby. Our joy was all too quickly taken away, when I suffered a miscarriage a few weeks later. I wrote more about this in my post, February 25, 2016. We are learning to lean on God and fully and faithfully believe in His perfect timing. Infertility and loss is no joke. It's hard. It's stressful. It's sometimes bitterly cruel. There is a bigger plan in place for us; we can't wait to see that revealed to us. 


On the side, I paint personalized art. It started as a hobby and has morphed into a steady side business through the years. I often share paintings I've done on here, not necessarily to gather more business, but more to share the stories of the names behind the art. 


That's it! If you're looking for flash, and flare and drama...this isn't your place. We're normal folks with a sometimes busy calendar, and I'm just sharing pieces and parts of our lives on here for our nephews and future children to look back on one day. Thanks for stopping by, pull up a chair a stay a while!!

To follow our journey, connect with us through the mason jar icons up top!

Andrea has some great Show and Tell Tuesday topics planned for this year! Can't wait to meet more of you out there!!



3 comments:

  1. so glad to have met you! this is such a great post! hope you check my blog out as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless!
    scoopfromahandicapper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica!! Your blog is beautiful!! I am so glad to connect with a fellow TN blogger! And your personalized signs - love it. Love learning about you and look forward to reading more!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be visible after approved by the author.