Monday, January 25, 2016

Winter Stay-cation Weekend

Like a huge portion of the country, we spent our weekend enjoying an impromptu stay-cation thanks to a SNOW weekend!

Before we recap the weekend, let's back track to last Wednesday when we first saw snow. Schools have been closed since Wednesday, because let's face it, this is the South, we're just not equipped to handle weather like this as well as other parts of the country are. 

I headed up to the 6th floor to take a look at what was going on outside. I love these views from the hospital...from one side of the building, you can see across the campus of TTU and from another side, you can see all the way downtown. 



Wednesday's snow didn't last long as rain entered on Thursday before quickly turning into a blizzard on Friday morning. 

But first, Thursday Night Family Night with these hooligans. 


Ok, so Friday...about 8:30am, the snow came....and it snowed for over 24 hours! For Tennessee, this is HUGE. 

I ran back up the 6th floor about 30 minutes after it started snowing. And the words, "Well, that escalated quickly" literally came out of my mouth, out loud, to myself, in an empty waiting room. 


All of the guys in our department bundled up and headed out to start clearing walkways, sidewalks and parking lots.


They couldn't get one path cleared before it was covered again. This was about at the first time when I said, "We've not seen a snow like this in a LONG time." And, I would find myself saying this same thing several times throughout the rest of the weekend. 


Not long after 11a, I threw in the towel and decided to head home while I still could. Twenty five minutes of cleaning the car off, then I made my slow trek home. It took me twice as long as usual to get home...the roads were absolutely horrible. 


Here's where the Stay-cation comes into play. We had a fully stocked fridge and pantry, a couple of movies downloaded to watch, playing cards...we were set. 

(*Disclaimer: You're about to see an obscene amount of photos including: food, snow, makeup free selfies and our tv. You've been warned.)

Stephen was itching for me to get home Friday so we could start our snow plans. We started by watching, "The Intern" that afternoon. Cute movie but wasn't a huge fan of the ending.


Later that night, we watched Friends on Netflix (Stephen hasn't seen many episodes ever (insert jaw drop), so we decided to start at the beginning and work our way through all ten seasons!), played cards and I made some brownies. Because every blizzard needs a hot pan of brownies! #amiright


We stayed up fairly late Friday night playing cards and watching Friends, so we slept in late on Saturday. Because really, what else was there to do? 


We had a late (ok fine, it was technically lunch time) breakfast / lunch. It's important to note, that yes, there's just two of us in this house. Yes, this is the amount of food I fix us. My husband is a bottom-less pit. 


Saturday afternoon, we bundled up and headed outside to check out the snow around the house. I love the wardrobe choices that snow days bring out in us!


This is the creek that runs in our back yard. I posted this on Instagram Saturday. This creek is a love / hate relationship. But for now, it's glistening beautifully in snow and it's definitely a loved place. After we bought our house and moved in, we found out that my grandparents once lived in a small house up the hill you can see in this picture. They would get their water from a spring, just up the creek a little ways from our house. Memories like this, family like ours, just seems like this little place was meant to be ours. 


The other end of the creek; just so beautiful!


We had somewhere between 9 - 11 inches of snow in different places around our house. Crazy!



The little flag outside our front door was more than appropriate!


Front of our house...can you see the road? Nope, neither can we. I'm not going to lie....we spent a good chunk of time Saturday watching cars try and fail to make it up a little hill to the right of where I took this photo. I think all day, we only saw two vehicles make it up. The others backed down and all the way back to the main road.



After we came back in, we "warmed up" with a chocolate chip milkshake. The heart wants what the heart wants. 


Saturday afternoon's movie of choice was "Everest".  I know it's based on a true story, but I just don't understand why people do this. Put their lives in such grave danger, leave their families for so long, pay SO much money....for what? To climb a big rock and die? To each their own, but I don't get it. 


Saturday night we baked salmon for dinner. YUM. 


Saturday night, we watched more episodes of Friends and worked on a puzzle. 



Sunday.....oh Sunday. Cabin fever had set in and we decided it was time to get out. By "get out" I mean, LEAVE the house. 


We drove out to my sister's house to ride with them over to her in-law's house. They have THE BEST hills in their backyard for sledding. 



Poor Colin took quite the dismount on one ride and just laid there to recover for a few minutes. 




Sledding is exponentially more fun with nephews!



After cooking for seemed like 103 meals, we picked up Chili's to go on the way home. #amen #bestdecisionwemade


Also to be noted, I started watching "Jane the Virgin" on Netfilx last weekend and finished Season 1 last night. I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW. I'm trying to figure out how to go back and watch Season 2 shows since they started back in September and be up to date. It's cute and quirky...LOVE THIS SHOW! I'm going to go through major withdrawls if I can't figure out how to watch it from September to now. MAJOR. 


AND....one more big thing to share from the weekend....


I'm co-hosting a new monthly linkup with Justine and Leigh beginning next Wednesday, February 3! We'll be sharing more about this linkup this week, but for now be on the lookout for your favorite Super Bowl related pins!!! We're so excited to start this series and have some FUN ideas planned!

Hope you had a great (snowy) weekend!! Sometimes we need a little forced downtime to rest and connect with those most special around us. 





5 comments:

  1. Aren't we all so grateful this snow came over the weekend so we could all ENJOY!! What fun - now its time for the great melt!!! Woohooo for Pinspiration Wednesdays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a great winter weekend, but it's time for it to go when you have to go back to work, haha.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I think my phone ate my first comment ha! I like Jane the Virgin too, but don't think the second season is quite as good. Are you Team Michael or Team Rafael? I go back and forth but more Rafael.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl....Team Raf! Unless Season 2 changes my mind. So glad I'm not the only one watchubg, lol.

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous that schools had been closed since Wednesday! And your breakfast on Saturday looked so, so good! Glad that you and your husband got to spend quality time together :)
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be visible after approved by the author.