Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Easter Weekend Happenings

We had a family filled Easter weekend around here, and those are just THE best kind!! 

We started off the festivities with my mom's side of the family on Saturday, which has become our long-standing Easter tradition. We usually start to gather around 3pm and eat until we feel like we're going to pop! We forego the traditional Easter ham and fixings' meal and opt for my grandma's chicken and dumplings and a hodge podge of whatever the rest of us bring. It's the best meal! 

After we eat, we all head out side for an egg "hunt". I use the word "hunt" loosely, as it's more of a candy pickup. The weather was BEAUTIFUL Saturday which led to everyone staying outside until dark, playing games, sitting around talking, watching the little ones run wild...it was just an easy afternoon and SO enjoyable! 

I handed my cousin Sarah's husband Robert my phone to snap a photo of us, but not before I noticed he and Stephen taking selfies. I love Stephen's no front teeth look. (#hehasfrontteeth #promise)


Getting ready to "hide" the eggs for the "hunt."


Little Arabelle had a blast on her 2nd Easter! 


Our grandparents have the best back yard. It has been such a landmark place for all of us growing up spending SO many holidays and Summer days in this back yard. 


All of the little cousins ready to hit the ground running!



Guy talk in the middle of an egg hunt. 



Bubbles are always an Easter staple around here! 


Several played baseball and others tossed a frisbee around. 


And then some just sat on the porch chatting the afternoon away. And yes, my grandpa IS holding a badminton racket. He's very adamant at swatting bees, wasps, birds and squirrels away. I have witnessed on many occasions in my 32 years, of Pa jumping up from the table or his chair in the living room, to rush outside and shoo some little animal away from his house or garden. Bless him. 


My cousin Ann Marie. Oh how I love this girl! She lives and works in Chattanooga now, so I don't get to see her as often, but I sure LOVE it when she's home with us all!




We played more baseball, blew more bubbles, and watched the sun go down. It was the best day! 


Fast forward to Sunday, we had a great church service, an egg hunt for the kids after church, and then headed to my in-law's for a big lunch. 

Exhibit A: 


Stephen's mom always hosts a big Easter lunch and Christmas Day lunch with DELICIOUS menus! 

She also snaps picture throughout the year, and at the end of each year she uses them to make a photo book for the year in review. Needless to say, she is sure to snap a formal photo of the couples at each holiday through the year. 

Exhibit B: 


I will admit..this dress...yeah,  I saved it from a bag that about went to Goodwill last weekend. I saw it and thought, I've not worn that in forever, AND I didn't buy an "Easter dress" this year...BAM! Spruce it up with a cardigan and new necklace and it felt like a brand new outfit. 


After we stuffed ourselves again, Stephen, my BIL and their good friend Joey played with my nephews outside for a while before we helped clean up and headed home. 

One last photo to share from the weekend and a little story that goes behind it. (You may have seen this on FB or IG over the weekend, if so, then skip ahead to the bottom.)

Several weeks ago, when the due date for our first baby passed, Riley came up to me and said, "I'm sorry, Erica." I wasn't quite sure what he was talking about, but I assumed he meant the crash he had just taken on his scooter. I asked him what he was sorry for. He simply said, "for your baby." I immediately felt my eyes filling with tears, because I knew in that moment that his tender little heart hurt for us too. Tears were quickly exchanged for laughter when he shrugged his shoulders and said, "At least you still got us!"


I don't know what we would do without these two boys. They bring us SO. MUCH. JOY. They are among our greatest blessings and I am thankful for them every day! We just love being their Aunt and Uncle!! 

I hope you had a wonderful Easter weekend with your favorite people! 

Just a little blog housekeeping, next Wednesday be sure to link up with myself, Justine and Leigh for our Pinspiration Wednesday series. We'll be sharing all about our favorite Spring Style looks!! Come back and join us! 








4 comments:

  1. Our weekend were really similar! We had one family gathering Saturday where we spent the whole time outside eating and just being together and then we had two on Sunday. I love having big families!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun weekend!! Ours looked about the same!! lots of friends, family, and food!! My favorite weekends!!
    You can see our weekend over on my blog...ohmyglitterdesigns.blogspot.com

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your weekend looked fabulous!! And your dress too - glad you held it back!! I always search for items I already took in months down the road, which of course never works out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica- it seems like you seriously have the BEST family!! You all always look like you are having so much fun and I love how you gather together so often!! What a wonderful blessing!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be visible after approved by the author.