Monday, December 5, 2016

A Day in the Life: Maternity Leave Edition

Day in the Life posts are among my favorite to write and to read from other bloggers. I wanted to document a day during my maternity leave to look back on years from now to remember how these ordinary but super sweet days unfolded. 

I kept track of last Monday and since technically Monday started after midnight, might as well start sharing when my day really started. 

Yep...2:51am. The girls take a bottle every 4 hours, the way we have them spaced out has them waking once during the night to eat. This usually falls somewhere between the 2 and 3am hour. We have the girls spread out 30  minutes apart which allows me to feed, burp, change diaper and get mostly back to sleep before the next girls starts getting fussy for her bottle. This is key for me during the days while Stephen is at work and during the week nights when I take the middle of the night feeding. 

I've tried a few different ways to go about doing the middle of the night feedings, but this is my preferred method and it has worked the best for each girl. I change their diapers, give them a bottle and get them back to sleep in their room...with only a nightlight as our light, cuddled in the rocker with a fleece blanket and a Lullaby Pandora channel playing on my phone. 

On this night Amelia woke up first to eat and then Mae Parker. After taking care of both girls and getting them back to sleep, I was back in bed in just a little over an hour. 

And then we were back up at 6:30 to do it all over again and start our day! Amelia was my first to wake again. We headed to the kitchen to make bottles...

OH the Baby Brezza....a life saver and miracle worker for multiples mom! 

From 6 to 7, there's a show that comes on the Sprout channel, Little People. It is the cutest little show with wonderful color and cutesy songs. The girls are mesmerized by this show while they drink their bottle. 

Mae Parker woke up a little after 7 and joined our party!

It also just happened to be Cyber Monday so I had to check out a few online deals after the girls went down for naps. We're big fans of Carter's for baby clothes! I was proud of myself and only ordered a couple of could've been so much more!

During the girls' 4 hour feed spacing, they tend to sleep about 2 to 2 and half hours. During those golden moments, I do one of two things. I either do absolutely nothing at all and even fall asleep beside them on the couch or I morph into Super Mom and attack a million chores. On Monday, I chose the Super Mom path. 

Bottle washing...with's intense. We typically wash bottles and bottle parts twice a day. 

The girls tend to nap in the mornings on the couch. The rest of the day they'll snooze in their Rock & Play's. I know the days of them napping on the couch are coming to an end because they'll be rolling over before long, then I'll have to take a few more protective measures than I do now. 

At 9, I sat down for breakfast and to watch Live with Kelly! I grew up watching Regis & Kathie Lee during school breaks, summer break, snow and sick days...and have continued watching all of these years if I was randomly home. I've thoroughly enjoyed the 9am hour during my leave. 

No judgement on "breakfast". Pie is totally acceptable as the occasional breakfast during the holidays!

Someone ended up needing a few extra snuggles...

Speaking of Kathie Lee, I've been catching her on the final hour of the Today Show after Kelly...annnnd a couple of Cyber Monday Nordstrom purchases. 

Alot of our day is repetitive so just know that around 10a and 2p we went through the whole diapers, bottles, burps, blah blah blah...again. 

The laundry is never ending. I knew it would increase...but geeze...I was naive enough to not think it would be THIS much. I do about 2 loads of just girls' stuff every couple of days. If I didn''d be a massive, out of control pile. 

We spend the awake hours of the afternoon reading books. touring the house, practicing our tummy time and lately, staring at the Christmas tree lights. 

Mother of the year, my child is definitely spitting up in this pic. Way to go. 

We received a couple different activity mats, we've been using the above pink one for several weeks and on this day I decided to put together the other one just as a change of scenery for the girls. 

Afternoon naps!!

I don't iron. I mean, I do, but not really. I own two tops that require ironing. I don't even bother to drag out and set up our ironing board...I just throw a towel on table and get it done. So now the girls have little dresses that require's still not my favorite task, but it's a bit more fun to iron cute matching chambray dresses than ironing my own clothes. 

Stephen got home around 3pm, neither of us had eaten lunch so he picked up salads from Blue Coast Burrito on his way home for us. (Gosh I big pink puffy heart love Blue Coast!) We chatted about our day while Mae Parker cuddled up on my chest. She's been a Mama's girl lately...can't say that I mind it. 

Neither of us were very hungry so weren't in any hurry for dinner. Amelia was showing more interest than usual in our Christmas books so we read them through a couple of times. 

Along with Little People, we're also fans of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood....such a cute show. 

We practiced Tummy Time again....


Both girls do well with Tummy Time but bless Mae Parker...she'd sleep all night on her stomach if we'd let her. They propped her on her stomach to sleep during her first couple of weeks at the hospital nursery and she LOVES it. She would just prefer Tummy Time be a special nap time! (P.S. we don't let her sleep on her tummy. Maybe when she gets a bit bigger / older.)

We still weren't too hungry so around 8pm I whipped us up a grilled ham and cheese and tomato soup. Nothing fancy but just enough to hit the spot. 

We started our "bedtime" routine around 9, but at 10 when both girls were still awake we moved them to our room (where they sleep anyway for now) but rocking them in our recliner in a super quiet room...just seems to get them every time. 

We give them baths every other night, this was a non-bath night. Bath night bedtimes seem to go a bit quicker...bath, bottle, bedtime...the perfect trifecta! 

Then just after 10:30 both girls were asleep and I moved them across the room where they sleep for the night. 

For the time being, we were still on a "ban" from public places. But now, the ban has been lifted so we can go and do...only we probably won't. It's getting cold here and the "public" is germy and revving up the flu season. So for now, we'll just enjoy our cozy days at home. 

It's hard to believe that two months has already passed by and I only have a few weeks left at home with our girls before going back to work. Even though there's alot of snuggling involved...being a stay at home mom is WORK. There is always, always, always something to do. Don't get me wrong, there have been days I've longed for adult conversation / interaction and days that I have counted down the minutes until Stephen walked through to the door to say "tag you're it" so that I could get out of the house or just take a long, uninterrupted nap. Overall, it's been a special time that for a long time I wasn't sure if I'd ever get to have for myself. I don't take a second of these days for granted. These are the best days. 


  1. Love this!! Thanks for sharing about your day with those sweet babies!! You are doing a great job mama!

  2. This post is so precious! I love that you've recorded what a day was like early on in the girls' lives! PS Pie is always an acceptable breakfast food!

  3. Cuteness overload! You were meant to be a mommy! I just love how organized you are. Daniel Tiger is the best! His catchy little songs are great for teaching patience, potty training and covering your mouth when you cough. Ha!! Avoid Caillou at all costs, though. ;)

  4. We watched Caillou one morning after Little People and I said no more; not again.

  5. Your day is so full and you are doing such a fabulous job managing it all. Impressive for sure!


Your comment will be visible after approved by the author.