Good Thursday morning, friends! Today I'm excited to share a new series for my little space on the internet. Welcome to the first installment of A Slice of Stafford Life!
Life as a mom and a wife is filled with a thousand little moments each day. The moments we wish we could freeze in time to remember forever.
That is my hope with this series to share a little moment here and there that I want to remember and to have documented for our girls to look back on. It may be funny, it may be serious..I'm not really sure where this lead to be honest, but I want to document and share.
Do you ever catch yourself after something has happened in your every day routine that you think, wait that moment meant something. Life is a whirlwind these days, this is just going to serve as a little space to stop and reflect on a specific memory.
Memories that shape us, memories that bring on overwhelming thankfulness, memories that teach us a lesson.
Over the weekend, Stephen had to work one night so it was just me and girls. Even though I would prefer for him to be there with us, there's something sweet about sitting down to eat with my girls.
I talk with them and have conversations (as best as we can). Mae Parker will slurp her noodles down and Amelia will "mmmm" with every bite she takes. She loves to eat and savors her favorites.
What I want to remember is that no matter how busy our Saturday was and regardless that Stephen was working, we still sat down for dinner together. Meals don't have to be fancy. (OR clean, obviously.) When Amelia and Mae are grown, I want them to look back and remember that their mom cooked for them just like mine did for me, and we sat down together as a family. When they get older, we'll be able to have real conversations. Conversations beyond "Can you say ball?" "Baaaawwwlll." "Where's Riley?" "Iiiiileeeey."
Why did this strike a chord on the 'ol heartstrings? Because we don't do this every night. Some nights it easier to get the girls' food ready plop them in their highchairs and let them eat while I'm finishing our dinner. By the time I'm done in the kitchen, they're done eating. We'll wipe them down and let them play around and Stephen and I will attempt to eat our meal on opposite ends of the couch while taking turns pulling girls off the fireplace hearth or chasing them down with something they've found they shouldn't have.
I SO cherish the memories made around my parents' dinner table and I want that same experience in our home.
Hopefully we're shaping our girls to place an importance on family dinners at the table together. Something they come to look forward to at the end of each day, and something that some day they'll do in their own homes with their own families.
How do you do dinnertime in your home? Are you table eaters or couch eaters?
Thanks so much for stopping by! Be looking for those little moments in your every day...they're all around you!




We're couch eaters or island eaters. But I can totally remember the days of chasing a little one around at meal times!
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing I love more than the little moments that we don't know are precious till later. I look back on photos of Connor and I remember the scene. He is growing so fast that I try to soak up all the moments, good and bad.
ReplyDelete