Dear Amelia and Mae Parker,
In seven short months, you have changed my life and my world…forever.
I’ve said it over and over again, you are our answered prayers. You were just
what God knew we needed. A year ago I was excited to celebrate Mother’s Day as
I carried both of you, but still very anxious as to HOW we were going to make
everything work with twins! TWO babies. I still just hadn’t quite grasped the
whole concept at that point.
If we’re being totally honest, I still didn’t have a clue
the day you were born, but I prayed A LOT. And I knew we had A LOT of family
and friends in our corner for support and encouragement, so my mantra for the 6
months that I knew we had TWO on the quickly became and always was, “We’ll just
figure it out.” You know what? That’s exactly what we’ve done every day since
October 2nd. We’ve just figured it out. Figured out life with
preemies that you have to leave behind at the hospital while you go home.
Figured out life at home with 2 newborn babies. Figured out a day to day
schedule on my own with 2 newborn babies after your dad went back to work.
Figured out life “outside the bubble”, once we were past the critical phase the
hospital warned us about taking preemies out into the world. Figured out life
as a full time working mom once my maternity leave was over. Figured out life
around an unexpected, major nearly 8 week home repair / remodel. Figured out
life with the added expense of TWO babies…you girls aren’t cheap, but we make
it work.
Celebrating Mother’s Day this year, means having pictures
made with me and MY daughters…MY babies. There were days that I wasn’t sure if this
day would ever come. Days that I wondered if I would be a mom. Days that I
accepted that if I wasn’t a mom to my own children, I would always have two
perfect nephews that I could play a 2nd mom to. Days that I cried
myself to sleep longing for just one child…just one. Our God is a God of
Abundance.
We cannot brag enough about what GOOD babies you both are
and always have been. We can’t really complain about lack of sleep because you’ve
both always been relatively good nighttime sleepers. We can’t brag about your
eating habits or lack there of, because you’ve both always eaten very well. We
can’t complain about your incessant crying, because you only really cry when
you’re really hungry or really sleepy. There’s been no colic, no acid reflux,
no formula changing. You’re just GOOD babies. I like to think that God knew if
he was giving us two, that he’d give us a break and give us two really good
ones!
While this day is about my role as a Mother, I wouldn’t have
this role without the ones who gave me the title. This day is about you too, and
as far as I’m concerned it always will be. I hope that maybe when you’re older
we can celebrate just the 3 of us with a weekend girls’ trip or just something
special for the three of us. I am HONORED to be your mom. I look at you after
you fall asleep and still CANNOT believe that you are mine. I stare at you and wonder
who you will be when you grow up. What will your voice sound like? Who will be
your best friend? How will you be a blessing to others around you? I stare at
you and desperately pray that you’ll always need me. I know your level of
dependence will lessen as you grow, that’s natural. But I want to know that you
need me…you need your mom. I prayed for you for so long, and carried you and
nurtured you…two of you…at the same time…that’s important to remember, ha. As
much as I want you to always need me, you should know that I need you just the
same. I’m not a mom without you…you are forever part of me.
You are my greatest accomplishments, my biggest obsessions,
my prettiest blessings. You are without a doubt, my everything. You’ve just
been here for 7 months and yet, I can’t imagine life without you and it’s hard
to remember what our life was like before you. You’ve changed our worlds.
I’ll love you forever, AG and MP!
Love,
Your Mom





That is the sweetest letter. I know you are the best mom ever. It shows on their sweet faces in every picture!
ReplyDeleteHappy Mother's Day!
Oh my all the feels right there!
ReplyDelete