Last week I woke up one morning to an email that I had new
blog post comment awaiting my approval. When I opened it, it was from an anonymous
account and I immediately had a gut feeling I was about to be disgusted with
what I was going to read. I’ve heard of this happening to other bloggers and
even to friends of mine who blog.
It was a comment that started out normal and quickly turned
into a perverted, sickening remark directed toward one of the girls.
In a knee jerk reaction, I set this blog into a privacy mode
until I gave the whole situation more thought and PRAYED A LOT about it. Not
that I wanted God to give me a big neon sign of what to do, but I needed a
peace of mind that this troll wouldn’t get to me. By no means do I mean for
this to sound self-righteous, but it’s probably going to…my blog brings so much
joy to so many readers. I run into people all the time that tell me how much
they love following along with us, watching the girls grow, reading my posts,
etc. When I started blogging I was doing it for myself, and now I do it in part
for so many others. I will never be a “regular” blogger, you will never be able
to say, “Oh, she’ll have new posts up Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.”
I blog when I can – it’s not my #1 or even in my top 10 of priorities anymore –
and that’s ok. But when I do share posts, I know there’s others out enjoying
seeing a new one come up in the morning at 4am.
So…where do I go from here?
For now, I’m going to be more cautious about certain photos
and specifics that I put out there. There’s A LOT that I don’t share on here,
or any form of social media for that matter, but in today’s world, anything can
be found out with technology and tools available. You’d pretty much have to
live off the grid to be left to yourself, which honestly sometimes, I think
sounds like a pretty good idea. But let’s be honest, I’d miss Instagram and Netflix
too much to live off the grid. This has
just made me more aware. My girls haven’t asked for this – they are defenseless
and I am their protector. Mama Bear mode out in full swing.
I've changed different settings to help protect my blog a bit more, and I've spoken with law enforcement which led to a phone call from a TBI (Tennessee Bureau of Investigation) agent earlier this week regarding my rights, actions that can be taken, and what kind of investigative help is offered to help find and prosecute this kind of filth. I am BLOWN away at their generosity and immediate interest to look into all of this.
I've changed different settings to help protect my blog a bit more, and I've spoken with law enforcement which led to a phone call from a TBI (Tennessee Bureau of Investigation) agent earlier this week regarding my rights, actions that can be taken, and what kind of investigative help is offered to help find and prosecute this kind of filth. I am BLOWN away at their generosity and immediate interest to look into all of this.
For now, this blog continues. I need all the encouragement and
advice I can get! Send it our way please! Not to say that I don’t have my limits, because I most
certainly do as I’ve come to find out in this past week. For those of you who
have messaged or called me when you saw the “private” mode screen come up,
thank you for your understanding and concern. To those of you who’ve been
through this, because I’m convinced it happens to every blogger out there at
some point or another, big blogger or small blogger…if it’s happened to me, it’s
happened to everyone else by now…how did you move on whether you continued
blogging or not? I WANT to continue blogging – honestly, it’s my ONLY hobby
these days, but at what cost do I continue? My family? Nope…sorry, they will always
win over this little space of mine on the internet.
Whether that comment was real or just some troll lurking
around the mom-blog world trying to see who he or she can get to…well bud,
chances are you get to all of us when our CHILDREN are involved you sicko. Our
JOY is our kids. Our hearts are our kids. Our answered prayers are our kids. I
pray that you find this same joy and love one day and that you will forever be
changed. You will never know a more profound love than that you will have for
your babies.

Oh Erica!! I know the feeling all too well. It still hurts my heart for the words I read and experienced personally. Praying for you and hoping it was a random troll and we get to see your beautiful family more!!
ReplyDeleteOh that is so disgusting!!!!!! I noticed that your blog had been changed to privacy setting but didn't think to text you since it was like 5 AM when I noticed. I hate that for you but I hope there's something the law enforcement can do about it. Why are there so many crazy people in the world?!
ReplyDeleteSarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts
Oh my goodness this makes my heart sink. I had a comment last week that was super random and ad like but not this YET! I am so sorry you had to go through this and I wondered when I popped by last week and I couldn't access! May the Lord be with you and guide you! All my love! Xoxo Erin
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear this. There are sad people in the world.
ReplyDeleteThis has got to stop happening. I have no clue why this creeps keep doing this. If you want to make it damn near impossible for each things to be shard on your blog, try Disqus comment forum. I have it on my blog and NEVER have issues with comments.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry you had to read/see that comment. I wish it didn't happen. Blogging is such a fantastic community and I hope you aren't pushed out because of this comment.