January Life Lately

January was quite the doozey around here; I'm still surprised at myself for even getting a Life Lately post together - albeit's nearly two weeks into the next month. 

We kicked off New Year's Day per our usual late lunch at Stephen's grandparents' house enjoying our black eyed peas, greens, hog's jawl and ALL the other deliciousness. I've decided a traditional Thanksgiving meal is my favorite meal and our traditional New Years Day meal is a very close 2nd! 


The girls are still spending 4 days of the week with their Lolli. She is doing a wonderful job teaching them fun lessons in colors, shapes and words. It's been the sweetest thing to watch them grow and learn.


Spaghetti and meatloaf still tend to be favorites around here. They can use forks and spoons rather well, but have short attention spans for them. 



It's best to leave all toilet lids down. If not, they will find them and they will play in them. So gross. 


We tried to discourage them away from the fireplace hearth for what felt like years and finally we stopped. When we stopped getting on to them, they stopped standing on it and walking across it. Instead they calmly sit and play. It's their favorite seat in the living room these days. 


We celebrated my sister's birthday with a dinner out with our family and her in-laws. We love celebrating birthdays! 


We had some unseasonably warm temps before the bottom fell out. The girls were able to get outside and go for walks a couple days with their Lolli. 


They are such happy girls! 


Ok, so the mittens on this day and even the hats were bit of an overkill for how warm it was. 


Amelia was due another hair cut. Her hair has been growing SO fast lately. Girlfriend needed a trim in the bag to even out some shaggy-ness and....


her bangs. The bang trim changed her look! 


One afternoon, I managed to get both sleeping girls in from the car by myself and down in their beds for nap. I can't remember what we were doing this particular night, but I had to wake Amelia up so we could go. Sister was none to happy to be woken from a perfectly good nap. 


I mentioned her love of her Minnie hat before and yes, she sleeps in it occasionally. Some things aren't worth the fight. 

It started snowing on a Tuesday here and the after-effects closed schools the rest of the week. 


The temps were SO frigid that was the worst part. But like any true Southerner, I made a quick stop for milk on my way home. No bread, just milk and a fun Valentine's Day table cloth. #snowstormessentials


A couple days after the snow fell, and the temps were slightly above single digits, we got all bundled up to take the girls outside. 


I will be totally transparent and say it took like three times as long to get the girls all bundled up compared to the length of time we were all actually outside. 


Which I'm assuming is totally normal right??


Everything looks all warm and fuzzy, but yall it was SO dang cold. Like a high of 14 that day I think. 


My sister, her boys and my parents had all come over too. The aftermath in our living room when we all came back inside was a bit hectic. Delayer all the layers! 


Fun at Lolli and Pop's continued....


That look...and this dominance....


The little one doesn't know she's the little one! 

Oh, and remember the Santa pancakes back before Christmas they had? Well, now it's a winter theme. I'm telling ya those two eat better than me during the day! 


We had a stellar 15 month check up!



All thanks to the help of Pop! Doctor appointments are significantly easier when Pop is our volunteer of the day! 


My sister got us a Buggy Bunch for Christmas. I was finally brave enough to try it out one Saturday by myself during a Kroger trip. My thoughts...it worked well, unless your child figures out how to pop the lock and then she's sitting on top of your bag of grapes. Other than that, it holds her up just fine! 


Every girl needs a "Sunday Winter Coat". 


We had a little too much cabin fever one weekend, and snuck out to let the girls finally play in their playhouse. Eventually we'll make a space for it in the yard, but for now it's just sitting on our back deck. PJ's and all...they had a great time discovering their little building! 


AND to wrap up the month, a friend of my sister whose kids have grown up with my nephews. Same ages, same daycares, same elementary schools, same ball teams, same middle schools...we've just known these kids forever...ANYWAY...

Hannah had been begging to "babysit" our girls so the kiddos and their mom came over one Saturday night and played while the mister and I went out to dinner. I've said it a million times since that night, it was just SO nice to enjoy a meal...to just eat a meal. I SO appreciate their thoughtfulness extended to us that night! We needed a little time out and away even if it was just a couple of hours. 


And...that wraps up our January! Hope you all had a memory filled month with your favorites too! 

2 comments

  1. They are getting so big. Amelia's hair cut and bang trim makes her look really big.
    Girl it still takes us longer to buddle up then the time my kids stay outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can always tell which girl is which thanks to the amount of hair on her head so please don't cut too much more off.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be visible after approved by the author.