Recipe Club - Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup & Mexican Cornbread

Everyone has their favorite Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe and this is mine! (Technically it's a dear family friend's recipe from years ago...talkin' about you Nikki!)  It's a bit different from others, but it's oh so delish!! I pair it with my mom's recipe for Mexican Cornbread and it's the perfect Fall and Winter meal!! 

When I made this soup last week, I adjusted a few things to make it a slow cooker recipe and it turned out great! I will never be cooking this on the stove ever again, HA. 


Here's what you'll need for the soup: 

3-4 Chicken Breasts
32 oz container of chicken broth 
1 cup milk
16 oz Velveeta 
1 onion chopped
1 can of Rotel (but I use 2 to make it a bit spicier)
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
Flour Tortillas 

Combine chicken, chicken broth, milk, Rotel, Onion, Garlic and Chili powders in the crockpot. Cook on low for 8 hours. About an hour before serving, shred your chicken and toss in Velveeta. Stir occasionally until cheese has all melted. 

When you serve, tear flour tortillas into strips and stir in your bowl of soup. These will turn into dumplings if you will! Now, if you don't plan on having leftovers, go ahead and throw the tortilla strips into your crockpot and stir about 15 minutes before serving. However, if you DO plan on having leftovers I strongly suggest just putting them in your individual bowls. Once they become "dumplings", they're good for that particular serving. They get soggy and yucky if left for later on. 

On to my Mom's Mexican Cornbread! 


What you'll need: 

2 cups cornmeal
Chopped onion (I usually buy a bag in the freezer section, use half the bag for the soup and half the bag for the bread!)
1 can Cream Corn
1 Green Pepper Chopped 
1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 400, grease a 9x9 pan. Mix all ingredients together, bake 45 minutes to 1 hour until center tests done. This is very dense and takes a while to bake but SO worth it!!


And thanks to Instastories for the pic. I failed to save a regular photo I snapped, so there's the one with all it's filter added glory! 

Hope you enjoy!

Linking with Johannah, Heather and Jenna...



1 comment

Your comment will be visible after approved by the author.