Whether we want to admit it or not, the holiday season is
quickly approaching! Thanksgiving is a mere two weeks from tomorrow. If there
is one thing that I can assume about us all is that we’re all feeling fairly
ragged by this time of the year. Our calendars are full, our to-do lists are
many and our expenses increase. Even though I was a mom last year during the holidays,
I feel like THIS year is my first year with kids and the holidays. The girls
were tiny, we didn’t leave the house much, we didn’t make it to everything we
normally go to…it was just a slower season for us last year. 2017 however,
bring it all on! Our girls are in tow with us everywhere we go, our calendars
are filling up quick, we’re ready to tackle this. Today I’m sharing ways that I prep for the
holidays!
|Menu Planning|
For every event that we go to during the holidays, we take
food dishes with us because everything is either potluck style or a set menu of
you bring this and she brings that. Usually in October I’ll sit down and jot
all of the definite events we will attend and what food items I’ll be taking
with me. Then, I start buying up ingredients that will keep until they’re
needed. Because try to find a can of pumpkin anywhere in this town the week
before Thanksgiving. #ainthappenin’
Closer to time, I’ll pick up the fresh items I need, but
other than I’m already ready to go in the cooking and baking department for the
months of November and December. I’ve done this for several years and let me just
say I’ve not once stressed over what I’m taking to wherever on Saturday, what
groceries I need to buy, or what all cooking I’m going to have to do. It’s
planned for in advance and I know I’m ready!
|Gift Planning|
Here goes the list maker again…
I make a list of all the people we buy gifts for. I set a budget
for each recipient. I generally stick to said budget give or take a few dollars.
I ask for suggestions from those who I’m clueless about for that year and I
start shopping. There is no shame in asking for suggestions. Yes, it’s a great
feeling knowing you have the perfect gift for someone and they’re just going to
love it; but when you’re not sure, ask! Erin from Perfectly Port, shared a greatpost last week that my head nodding right along to every single tip she wrote! Sheshares a great gift shopping list template!!
|Shopping|
Amazon Prime has become my dearest companion for gift shopping.
For gifts that I know FOR SURE I’m buying, I usually buy early just to get them
out of the way and over with. I’ve been known to buy gifts in the Summer if I
overhear someone say “I’d really like to have (fill in the blank).” Or my favorite,
“You know what I want to get sometime? I want to get…” *Makes internal note:
buy car mats for Stephen’s car*
Actually
I have an on-going list on my phone of gift ideas for people based of their
interests and things they’ve mentioned. It’s been a great help. I also make
lists on my Amazon account. There’s a list for me of things I would like, a
list for the girls, a list for Stephen. I’m always adding to the lists and
taking things off. It’s such a handy tool, and helps to me to not forget ideas
I had back in June, haha.
I watch my emails like a hawk for special discounts, coupon
codes and free shipping. Sometimes you can RACK UP with all the sales and extra discounts this time of year.
For example, I know we’ll have to take gifts to at least one Dirty Santa game
possibly two, so when I start seeing those Kirklands emails come through with
daily deals on holiday decorative items
I’ll stop by on my way home and pick up
a super cute gift that ends up being $10 just because I caught it on email earlier
that day. I just saved at least $10 or $15; I’m good with that!
I don’t Black Friday shop. I’ll be at home in my pj’s if you
need me.
I do browse on Cyber Monday, but I’ve found better deals on
other days. It’s hit and miss depending on what you’re looking for.
If I can’t find something specific that I know my recipient
will love, I will always opt for a gift card over a random gift. I will not buy
a gift and hope they like it. I would rather KNOW they’ll get something they
love from a store they love from a gift card I give them. There is no shame in
giving gift cards. Repeat…NO SHAME.
I start shopping for holiday clothes and pj’s for the girls
in August or September. Those things are hard to come by the closer it gets to
the season. Buy early!
I also shop for our Christmas cards early. And by early on
this one, I usually have our card picked out before we’ve even had photos
taken. #truestory
(Maybe this year we'll look forward instead of down.)
By doing this, as soon as we get the photos back from our
photog, I send them directly to the Etsy shop I’ve chosen for the card design,
they’ll typically have the proof back to me in 1-2 days, I send that to a local
printing company and they typically have the cards all printed and ready for
pickup the next day.
|Gift Wrapping|
I love wrapping Christmas gifts. Honestly I love wrapping
any gift for any occasion. Don’t worry, I have my fair share of gift bags on hand,
but given the choice (and a few extra minutes) I’ll be wrapping a box with pretty
paper and making a fabulous coordinating bow. Once again, I plan ahead and buy
Christmas gift wrap at different AFTER Christmas sales for the following year. You
can snag several rolls for dirt cheap. I store all my wrapping paper rolls in a
tall metal trash can in the corner of our hallway coat closet. I would share a
photo, but it’s dark and neatly buried behind a rack packed of coats and
jackets. Organized, yes. Easy to get to, no. On the shelf above the paper, I
have a couple of smaller baskets filled with tissue paper, gift bags, ribbons,
bows, scissors, tape, and labels. Everything is right there together to pull
out, use and then slide away until I need it next time. You know you’re going
to be wrapping gifts, might as well keep all your supplies together instead of
running around finding a bow, or the scissors or where the heck’s that pesky
roll of tape when you need it?!
What are your best planning tips for the holidays? Do share! Be sure to check in with Shay and Erika for today's Workin' It Wednesdays to see how everyone else plans for the season!!
To see other posts from my Holiday Prep Week Series, check these out...










I am loving your graphics this week! Great idea to keep a running list of things to buy people. Sometimes I think of something but then I never write it down which never helps me.
ReplyDeleteSarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts
LOL I laughed out loud at your looking up instead of down comment :) and thanks for the shout out. You are always so sweet. I am impressed by your food planning - wow and can I come you planned yummy things ;) xoxo ERIN
ReplyDeleteYou are so good with planning meals ahead and keeping a running list of gift ideas! And there is no shame in gift cards...who doesn't love getting a gift card to spend how they want to?!? Have a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the details on how you're getting ready. I'm a list person too. And your Christmas cards are gorgeous! What Etsy shop do you get them from?
ReplyDelete