Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The PERFECT Summer Strawberry Cake


Many years ago, my Aunt Linda (On my mom’s side….because yes, I also have an Aunt Linda on my dad’s side. Welcome to Tennessee.) showed up at some family get-together with a  strawberry cake that was out of this world delicious! I immediately asked for the recipe and made it very soon myself.

Fast forward probably ten years and I still love making and eating this cake! I’ve shared the recipe with friends many times and get requests for this cake all during the Spring and Summer. It’s just THAT good.

One guy I used to work with, paid me to make this cake for his wife’s birthday one year….THAT good.

Stephen’s birthday is in mid-April. When I asked him what he wanted me to make for his birthday this year he quickly and without hesitation responded, “STRAWBERRY CAKE!!”

We hosted several family members over to our house for dessert after a dinner out to celebrate his birthday. I knew one cake wouldn’t be enough so I whipped up two.
Here’s what you’ll need…(to just make one cake)

White cake mix
Regular size box of strawberry jello
4 eggs
1 cup of oil
½ cup of water
16 oz container of frozen strawberries, thawed & drained (reserve the juice)
1 lb confectioner’s sugar
1 stick of softened butter

THAT’S IT!

*This is a “cold cake” so be sure you have enough room in your fridge to store it.*

Preheat oven to 350.
Grease a 9x13 pan.

If your frozen strawberries are in bigger pieces, try to cut them down some. This is where my handsome husband comes into play….had to help making his own birthday cake. It’s a rough life in the Stafford house.
Mix together the cake mix, jello, eggs, oil, water and half of the strawberries. Pour into the prepared pan. 
Bake 35-40 minutes until cake tests done.
While cake is baking, make your icing…
Mix the softened butter, confectioner’s sugar and remaining ½ of strawberries. Use the reserved strawberry juice to thin the icing to your preferred consistency. (I must tell you this is the step that makes the difference between my Aunt Linda’s Strawberry Cake and MY Strawberry Cake. She likes to have the icing pretty thick like a buttercream consistency. I like mine thinner so that I basically just pour it on the cake and spread it around…you can decide which one you prefer.)

Once you get it mixed to your desired consistency, refrigerate the icing until ready to use.

Once the cake cools completely, top it with your chilled icing & refrigerate. (I usually run a knife around the all the sides of the cake to loosen it a bit and let the icing seep down the side. Heavenly.)
It typically does best if you make it a day in advance of when you’ll be serving it…but it’s delicious anytime!!
Stop by Andrea's site to see the other yummy recipes others are sharing today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be visible after approved by the author.